Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ombre Dresser

The first of my house goals for 2012 is Emma's room. Having never really done anything with her room, and finding a few pieces to inspire me, I thought I'd start here first. You can find my mood board here. My first project is this dresser...

 photo ombredresser_zps8d8feff2.jpg

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd found a chest of drawers on the side of the road. Coming back from the beach I saw it, legs in the air and drawers strewn across someone's front yard, and thought, she's perfect! When you're learning to paint furniture, what's better to work on than a free dresser! At some stage she must have had a mirror attached to the top, given the shape of her back legs, so I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement.

As I'm sure I probably would have done given the chance as a teenager, the dressers' previous owner had painted her name all over. Including on the inside back of the frame. Hence we're calling her Jacqueline.

 photo ombredresser2_zps05b8a025.jpg

I've had these two gorgeous dressers pinned on pinterest forever. I wavered, but in the end decided to go with my original inspiration.

 photo ombredresser4_zps45f6ebf2.jpg photo ombredresser3_zps88796207.jpg

I was all fired up to finish the dresser a few weeks or so ago, when I realised that I had thrown away the drawer pulls. THROWN AWAY VINTAGE DRAWER PULLS. I spent a few days kicking myself, and then thank goodness, found some others on the net. (I am still kicking myself, but I will get over it!)

Here she is...

 photo ombredresser5_zps602c4825.jpg

Emma is happy and so am I. She has some... ahem... blemishes, but we'll look past those won't we! So that gets the ball rolling for Emma's room - hooray!

 photo ombredresser6_zps7c5da950.jpg

I'm linking to Primitive & Proper, Make Grow Thrift by The Habby Goddess, Miss Mustard Seed, and  Primp Your Stuff Wednesday.

33 comments:

  1. Catherine your drawer unit has come up fantastic! I love the variation of colours. Don't beat yourself up too much about the handles :)

    Thank you for playing along with Make Grow Thrift, yes there is a wee problem with the linky tool - it will be fixed for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie - working on something else to share for Monday! Love the dress you shared BTW, I have that book, now I have the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. oh i LOVE it!!!!!!! love it in the pink!!! so so cute! yay! man jacqueline is a girl who needed some love....
    and ps- thanks for the shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to convince her on mauve / purple, or greens, but without question she wanted pink!

      Delete
  3. I want one in tangerine hues...so beautiful! I'm following you by mail so we can keep in touch. Stop by and follow back cause' I love meeting new blog friends, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Cute! That was so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is flippin' fabulous! what a great shape and i love the color grading on the drawers. and the dipped legs. fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome! I love what paint can do!
    You should join me for handmade 52! http://www.raisingoranges.blogspot.com
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great...just like the inspiration piece but prettier...xo
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I always love the ombre look! She really got a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Catherine - Bronnie has been raving about how talented her sis is :) Love your inspiration and the final outcome! Emma is so lucky to have a crafty and thrifty mum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have those very same inspiration photos pinned! An ombre piece is defintely on my to-do list too! I love that style dresser and I love that you found it and gave it a new life. The pink is sooo cute! Nicely done! Hope you'll come by and link up to our Tuesday Be Inspired party sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stopped by from Primitive & Proper! I love the ombre dresser!! Love the style, the color - everything! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I would love if you would link this to my blog party this weekend. Hope you can join in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Catherine!!! Congrats on the feature at POWW too!!
    It turned out so great...one you can cross off your list!
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacqueline is oh-so-pretty in pink! love this Catherine!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! You did a really beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did such a wonderful job! I LOVE the results. Clever, clever. :) Free too? {sigh...} (Popped over from Roadkill Rescue.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Redo, first time visting, lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this dresser remake. Just found your site from you being featured on Prim & Proper. SO glad I found you- I am your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rasonda! Thanks so much - I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have that same pin on one of my boards, but haven't done anything with it yet. :-) This looks great, you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ah! I love this! You are really making me want to find some furniture to mess around with - I also love the desk you did for your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love this! I have had the same pins on Pinterest! I'm starting my little girl's big girl room, and I am wishing she had a dresser instead of an armoire, so that I could do ombre! Great job (and I love the dresser you found)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my word- this turned out so well! I've seen people do them, but the shades are off. Yours look PERFECT!! Love. It.
    xoox Becca

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE the colors you chose. The dresser has great lines too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow… quite a transformation! Please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW - you have done a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - it looks great - you have done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...