Monday, August 13, 2012

The Captains Chair Makeover - Industrial Style!

I picked up this chair at a local op shop / thrift store for next to nothing. Literally. Why? Someone had been stabbing it with scissors or some other sharp implement and had not only ruined the seat but had made huge holes in the wood. You can just make out the gouges in the arm rests - awful right?

 photo shoppinglist6_zps72f3ea16.jpg

SIGH. I have no idea why someone would want to destroy such a beautiful chair, but it made a great buy for me and my next project! And here it is!

 photo captainschair2_zps5fa3e25f.jpg

My husband commented to me that alot of the painted furniture he'd seen was a bit on the feminine side. While I don't agree, I wanted to use this chair to create something I thought he would use in his office.

 photo captainschair3_zpsc21dbde8.jpg

I've recovered the seat in an old coffee sack, and painted the chair a flat black. I've seen so many great projects using black lately that I wanted to give it a try. And I'm pretty impressed with how it worked out!

 photo captainschair4_zps98368f54.jpg

So what about you? Do you agree with DK that painted furniture can be a little on the feminine side? Or have you given a bit of black paint a try recently? 

Thanks for stopping by...








Sharing at...
Under the Table and Dreaming
DebbieDoos Thrifting Crafting and More
Between Naps on the Porch
Tip Junkie 
Not Just a Housewife
SugarBee Crafts
Primitive & Proper
Primp
Domestically Speaking
Live Laugh Rowe

19 comments:

  1. LOVE the black Catherine!! it's so striking and definitely not 'feminine'!! Cool coffee sack too, where did you find that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the shape of that chair and your finish and seat are perfect on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Debbie Doo's... Love that you did to the chair! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The black is perfect for that style chair and the coffee sack seat. Love it! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome makeover! Good you saved that thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly love this chair - saw you on Newbie party and your project caught my eye. Where in the world do you find such a cute coffee sack?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I've been liking black/darker furniture a lot lately, also. I actually just redid a chair with a coffee sack, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you on not just a housewife. I love the coffee sack idea for the seat. Can I ask where you got it?

    Thanks!
    Zorrie
    www.sugarandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, totally my style :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I absolutely love this makeover. Great job! Thanks for sharing with the newbie party. I will be featuring you today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chair went from average & boring to something that stands out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous transformation. Popping in from my pal Debbiedoos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difference!?!?!?! I love it. Such a unique chair to begin with and then you made it Awesome! I'd love for you to share it at my blog party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It's every Tuesday and runs through Sunday. I love for you to stop by! I think this chair would make a great addition to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to use up an old coffee sack. I've seen plenty for sale around the Central Coast. I'll look at them differently now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, I love! Fabulous job! I would love for you to share it on my weekly linky party Blog Stalking Thursday. http://www.thecraftyblogstalker.com/2012/08/blog-stalking-thursday-54.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great! The black and the sack play perfectly off of each other! I'd love it if you'd join the Keep Calm and Link Up party going on right now! http://chase-thestar.blogspot.com/2012/08/keep-calm-and-link-up-2.html

    Barbara @ Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing! I LOVE IT!! Very inspiring. I love the black color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Catherine! I agree with you on feminine painted pieces! I've been trying myself to keep it varied! Taking pictures of my newest piece tomorrow which I specifically made more manly. I hope to have it posted tomorrow or Friday...you'll have to come over for a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! Love it!!! And to think I threw away all those old coffee sacks I had years ago! Hopped over from live laugh linky party and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy @ vintagestreetdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...